Freitag, 2. August 2019

E-Scooters .... Eco-Capitalism


I have written an article for taz - die Tageszeitung in which I argue that E-Scooter Sharing Services are paradigmatic for what can be called "Eco-Capitalism" - a strategy of "green washing" capitalism that is far from sustainable since it maintains and even aggravates its fundamental destructiveness. To keep the layer of garbage that humans like to call the "Anthropocene" as thin as possible, we should get rid of them as soon as we can.

The article can be found here.

(Update from 8/8/19) A couple of days later I was invited by Deutschlandfunk Kultur to elaborate on my arguments against this new form of Eco-Capitalism and expand on urban mobility utopias and how to get there - I am very happy about these ideas being distributed on the German public radio - more on this can be found in my upcoming book Backlash - Essays zur Resilienz der Moderne, appearing this autumn...

Hear the Podcast here.



Plus: as a little add-on: actually, E-Scooters already existed 100 YEARS ago and also back then they have been an economical failure. History keeps repeating itself & it sometimes is stunning to me how blinded we are by a linear idea of "technological progress". For more, read this & thanks to Y.P.I.R. for alerting me to this.

A suffragette riding an E-Scooter in 1916 (!)




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen